Updated Friday 3 April
This is an ongoing situation so please be aware that service information could change at short notice. We are following government advice and will be reviewing all our services in line with the latest information.
Council customer services
We are currently operating essential services only. We have limited staff available due to the COVID-19 pandemic restrictions.
It’s not possible for all staff to come into office buildings to answer calls. Staff are working from home instead. For essential services, we are responding to webform requests and email queries.
Working with our partners across the city, we are focused on providing critical services to all residents, especially those who are vulnerable.
The arrangements and contact details for this new way of working in response to the ongoing crisis are underway right now. We will share more information as soon as possible so details can be promoted widely to residents across the city.
Details of service changes are added to this page and updated daily.
Services listed in alphabetical order
Note: Cityclean services for domestic rubbish and recycling are under "Household waste and recycling collection"
Blue badge and concessionary travel
The customer service counter is closed.
You can still:
- phone 01273 296 270 - if you leave a voicemail, a member of staff will phone you back
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- use the parking section of the website
All blue badges and bus passes that are due to expire in May will automatically be renewed and sent to customers.
All events are suspended until further notice:
- the box office is closed
- access line 01273 292 695 remains open for accessible bookings and advice - Monday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm
- Changing Places facility is closed
Find out about changes on how to apply for building regulations.
Have a look at the calendar of meetings to see which meetings are taking place, which have been postponed and which ones are cancelled.
We have to cancel all non-essential community meetings until 30 April at the earliest. This includes all resident meetings such as the Service Improvement Group, Leaseholder Action Group and other city-wide meetings.
We are also advised that community rooms remain closed for any large meetings.
Find more information about community engagement.
The duty phone line is closed. There will be voicemail only.
There are no home visits taking place for casework.
The current Government advice is that construction sites can stay working if measures are taken to limit the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).
Council tax hardship fund
Customer complaints team
The phone lines are now closed.
You can find more information on our customer complaints page.
- Customer service centres are closed.
- Hove Town Hall civic reception is closed
- Brighton Town Hall is only open to registrars
Our switchboard is operating a reduced service.
Development management (planning)
The phone lines are closed. The service is carrying out essential visits only.
The Electoral Services' phone line and face to face assistance via Hove Town Hall's Customer Service Centre is closed until further notice. The service will still respond to emails.
Find more information about changes to the electoral service.
EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
Following the introduction of new measures outlined by the UK Government on 16 March in response to the coronavirus pandemic, Brighton & Hove registration service has suspended assistance with the EU Settlement Scheme.
Find more information about EUSS.
Front Door for Families
- Leave a voicemail and a member of staff will get back to you
Fostering, placements and permanence
- The service has limited staff but you can leave a voicemail and a member of staff will get back to you.
- Virtual sessions to support placements
Household waste and recycling collection
Our priority is to collect your rubbish and recycling. If we can't collect your bin or box, we will collect it on the next scheduled collection day.
Garden waste collections are suspended until further notice.
The two Household Waste Recycling Sites (HWRS) are temporarily closed. This is to ensure public and staff safety, while also following government guidelines on social distancing. Find more information about the change to the waste and recycling service.
Bulky waste collections suspended.
Find information about changes to Housing Benefit.
Housing Customer Support Team (Adaptations, HMO Licensing, PHS)
The phone lines are closed. There is no face to face service in the contact centre.
The service will only be carrying out emergency repairs to council housing, health and safety maintenance checks and repairs to empty properties.
Find more information about emergency housing repairs at this time.
Housing Office receptions at the below are now closed to the public:
- Lavender Street - children's services are still open
- Portslade Town Hall
- Whitehawk Hub
- Housing Centre in Eastergate Road
Letting car parking spaces and garages - garages are not being let. Parking permits will be sent by post.
- 01273 293 030 - you can leave a message and a member of the team will get back to you
Integrated Team for families
The service is running but there may be delays.
All leisure centres in the city are closed until further notice.
All Brighton & Hove libraries are closed until further notice:
- Libraries Extra will not be operating
- you can use our digital library resources
- all loans extended to 30 June
Phone, email and referrals are still running but there may be a delay due to limited access to emails.
- Following the government's announcement and guidance from the British Parking Association, we will be providing free parking for NHS staff and social care workers during the coronavirus pandemic. Find out you will receive free parking.
- We are making a number of concessions to key workers and carers to support their important work on a temporary basis. We will be providing more information on this soon
- Parking enforcement is operating a core hours service and is focussing on the more serious contraventions and incidents of obstructive or dangerous parking that could have a more significant impact on safety and traffic flow. It is important to keep the city moving and ensure essential services and supplies can be accessed by people most in need of support. We will continue to monitor the situation in line with government advice.
Find more information on changes to the parking service.
The pest control service are not taking any new bookings for pest control treatments for the foreseeable future.
If you have an existing appointment with us, we'll contact you to cancel and agree what actions you would like. If you have any questions about this, please phone 01273 294 266.
Police & Crime Commissioner election
All UK elections have been cancelled by the government.
Find more information about the Police and Crime Commissioner postponed election.
There are no non-essential visits, inspections and treatments being undertaken. Visit only where imminent serious risk to public health or individual safety. Staff undertaking investigations by phone and email.
In line with government advice on social distancing, the service are having to make some changes to services. You can view the changes on these pages:
- Bereavement services
- Register a birth
- What to do when someone dies
- Wedding and civil partnership ceremonies
- British citizenship ceremonies
- Research your family history
Revenues and Benefits
The face to face service in the Customer Service Centre at Bartholomew House is closed.
This is for Council tax and benefits.
You can still:
- phone 01273 292 000 - open 9am to 1pm Monday to Friday
- email email@example.com
- use the online forms for benefits
Visit the GOV.UK website for general information about benefits.
We are committed to providing accommodation for every rough sleeper in the city during the COVID-19 pandemic, working with our street outreach service and community partners.
If you are rough sleeping or see someone rough sleeping, please contact Streetlink. St Mungo’s Street Outreach Service can then get in touch with them to support their access into accommodation.
If you are at risk of homelessness, for example because your accommodation with friends and family is ending please contact our housing early intervention team.
Find out more about what we're doing for rough sleepers and how you can help.
Royal Pavilion and Museums
All venues are temporarily closed. This includes:
- Royal Pavilion
- Brighton Museum & Art Gallery
- Hove Museum & Art Gallery
- Booth Museum of Natural History
- Preston Manor
You can find more information on Royal Pavilion & Museum closures on their website.
Major changes have been announced for schools from the end of the school day on Friday 20 March and for the foreseeable future.
Find out more about what's happening with schools in the city.
The phone lines are closed. Find more information about changes to the service.
School appeal hearings
There will be a delay in school appeal hearings. Find more information on government guidance.
Visit this page for updates on free school meals and scam warnings.
Special Educational Needs (SEN) Team
Face to face teams have been suspended. Find out more information about how the SEN Team is now working.
Taxi licence applications
Temporary Accommodation & Allocations
No home visits taking place for casework, lettings or property inspections.
The Keep will close to the public for 6 weeks.
Find more information about The Keep.
Report issues online. Staff will respond to enquiries and requests.
Highway inspections are running as normal.
Contractor undertaking works as normal.
Youth Employability Service
Face to face YES Adviser appointments are suspended.
The service still offers support via phone, email and social media.
Find out more about the changes to the YES service.
Youth Participation Team
Face to face and group work services are suspended.
This list will be updated regularly but services may need to change the way they run at short notice.